Guess who won PRSSA Committee Member of the Month again… I did! This time it was for the Fundraising Committee.
Tonight was our November General Meeting and the keynote speaker was Kirstin Alvanitakis. She is an online communications specialist who currently works for the Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Facilities where she is instilling brand identity and messages to key audiences through online communications. She manages all online content for the organization.
For her presentation, she told us the top 10 lessons she has learned throughout her career.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you’re worth.
- Don’t be a wallflower. Speak up.
- Don’t assume someone else will do it. (You’ll get blamed anyway if something goes wrong.)
- Learn how to manage up. Help your boss to help you.
- Don’t put anything in an email that you wouldn’t want to read in the paper.
- Don’t take it personally. You’re not going to get along with everyone.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a promotion.
- Be nice to everyone. (Don’t take sides.)
- The AP Stylebook is your friend. (Don’t put two spaces between sentences.)
- Don’t be afraid to fail.
You can follow Kirstin on Twitter @kirstinalv!